Wednesday, March 31, 2010

Being busy is a good thing...

It's been over a month since my last post and so many things have happened I don't even know where to start. So here goes.

The L'Oreal Melbourne Fashion Festival has come and gone, we had been preparing for the HUSSY VIP event for a while, coming up with some customised babycakes for their VIP guests. The client was extremely happy with the results and the customers & guests loved the cupcakes!

How exciting that our logo was printed on their VIP invites! I know it might seem like much but I get excited over little things like this. I feel like it's an absolute privilege to be able to represent an Aussie clothing label with your product.

These babycakes took a while to create as they had to be handcrafted and customised. But the effort was well worth it.

When I was coming up with ideas for customised HUSSY cupcakes, I took to their Autumn "The Killing Moon" collection for inspiration and colour theme. It was just perfect when the cupcakes matched the top on display in their centre table.

HUSSY has been around for quite a few years now, I still have a few pieces from their earlier collections when they first started. They have come so far and have definitely created their own signature style. Their pieces are edgy yet feminine and if you walk into their store you can instantly feel what their style is. They don't always follow the latest trend and change their style, they integrate the latest trend to suit their style.

I feel that whether it be fashion, music, dance, food or cupcakes - when you create something and have your own signature style, you create something that represents a part of your soul. When you start listening to others and deviating from what is true to you, you lose that magic and people can see and feel that. So to an extent what I do with my work, is still part of me. There have been opportunities that I've had to turn down because it doesn't fall in line with my 'big picture'. It may bring financial rewards quickly but in the long run it will be a detriment to your business image.

Also, just another note, a lot of what I express on my blog are my own opinions, there is no right or wrong. Everyone is free to have their own views on how things work, I'm not here to judge others or criticise - I am merely here expressing how I feel, think and work. And I'm grateful that I even have readers that are interested in what I have to write.

We also created some custom Leona Edmiston babycakes for their VIP functions at Melbourne Central, Chadstone Shopping Centre and Collins St. It was such a privilege as Leona Edmiston herself ate one of our cupcakes! It makes me excited that I've created a cupcake for an amazing Australian female designer.

I'm not sure if I've touched on this topic before but I'm very supportive of female entrepreneurs, business women and independent women. I wouldn't say that I am a feminist as such but I do appreciate all the inspiring women out there leading the way for women in our generation to grow, flourish and create an impact on our world. I was fortunate enough to be able to take part of the Third Sector Women's Networking Lunch on March 16 2010 where there were almost 250 women at the lunch celebrating International Women's Day. For those that aren't aware of the term "Third Sector", it is the Voluntary or more well known as the Not For Profit sector of our economy.

I ended up donating about 200 babycakes for the event, not for marketing purposes but I felt that this was a good opportunity to understand, learn and participate in what all these amazing women do for a living. I was lucky enough to be seated at the guest speaker table and was able to meet amazing inspiring women that have done so much for our community in leading the way to allow other women follow their own dreams. It made me realise how lucky I am to be able to live the way I live today. If I were in another country or trying to build my business 20 years ago, I would not have the opportunities I have right now and the freedom I have right now.

Many things have happened in the past month, as well as fitting 5 Weddings in a weekend as well as attend two friend's weddings as well. I will need to update you all in another post as I need to go back to baking.

Hope you've all been well, stay safe and have a great Easter!

Claire & Rich's Wedding Cupcake Tower at The Convent in Daylesford. The bride went with a Marie Antoinette themed cupcake tower with lilac, pink, brown and burnt orange colours. The cupcakes were wrapped with laser cut lace cupcake wrappers that made them so unique.

2 comments: